Sunday 2 October 2016

Eating for peanuts

Leading up to our big move, Reg and I are on a budget. But let's be honest, we're pretty big tight arses so most weeks we keep  the purse strings tied up.

What keeps our costs down is planning our meals in advance. A big part of our little home is centred around food. Alfie loves to help in the kitchen but like most three year olds, he thinks that most things we cook up for him are 'poo' or 'wee' or most recently (and he was sent to his room for saying it), 'shit'.

We eat mainly vegetarian food in our house - not just because it is more affordable, but because I actually don't really like handling meat. Every now and then though, I heat up the slow cooker with a cut of some beast and eight hours later I forget that I've handled meat and become distracted with the waft of a good curry or casserole in the house.

So I thought I would share what the Webb household is cooking up this week. Most of this stuff is in our pantry, fridge or freezer. I can't stand shopping at the major supermarkets, so much bloody packaging and the milk aisle makes me tear up - last time I went to Coles the whole milk section was ONLY Coles' branded milk. C'mon guys.

Monday:   Lentil Shepherd's Pie (the kid thinks the lentils are meat- I  swear!)
Tuesday:   Pea, mint and lemon linguini (you can chuck all the ingredients in your food whizz stick)
Wednesday:  Veggie fritatta. We have so many eggs in our fridge at the moment and I'm done with egg sangas.
Thursday: Schnitz and chips. If we have time we will crumb our own, otherwise our local butcher does a mean schnitz.
Friday: Egg filo pies. We will take the leftovers with us to the BMX track on Saturday.
Saturday:  The slow cooker will go on with either a casserole or corned beef. It might get frozen for a mid week meal next week.
Sunday: We eat all of our left overs or cook up something with whatever is remaining in the fridge. Free balling.

I'd love to know what your quick and easy mid-week meals are. We are starved for time at the moment, so cooking tea calls for 30 minutes or an episode of Octonauts.

Happy cooking!
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment